Sunday 5 October 2014

On inspiration

"I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and heard behind me a great voice."

I heard the very last words of my book when I was out walking my dog one late spring evening. It was long before I wrote the last chapter but obviously, it didn't matter. It was as clear as could be and I heard every single word to be remembered. Unfortunately, I didn't have anything with me to write it down so I had to rely entirely on my memory. And I tried because I knew those words were important!
Half an hour later when I came back and finally wrote them down and felt relieved. For a while!
Engaged in other chores, the words still lingered in my mind, as if they didn't want to leave, as if I didn't do what I was supposed to do with them.
"What is it? I did write it down?" I said to myself (and God) out loud in my kitchen when even after an hour the words didn't want to leave.
I gave up and went to see the notes I made and there it was. Reading it all again I noticed I had missed some words in it. "Of course!" I thought, corrected the message and understood, finally.


Psychologists T.M.Thrash and A.J.Elliot have defined three basic aspects of inspiration:
- evocation - inspiration is evoked spontaneously and without intention
- transcendence - it is transcended of our animalistic and self- serving concerns and limitations. It often involves a moment of clarity and awareness of new possibilities.
- approach motivation - the inspired person longs to pass on, express the vision or an idea.

Given this definition, one would think there is little we can do to "be inspired". However, the opposite is true. There is a way and even thougt it involves practice and sort of discipline, it certainly is something we should strive for.
Openness proceeds inspiration! Openness to experience new and unknown, even to "go where angels fear to thread" as it is said. This of course involves amount of trust and surrender.

Motivation from within and for more than oneself is another "prerequisite".

And thirdly, spiritual state of mind - feeling of oneness and unity, which differs from the state of mind when we are enthusiastic or excited. 

All that (using the ideas of above mentioned psychologists) leads to one thing, inspiration is not meant to help us achieve any particular goal, especially not a personal one, but rather to awaken or bring something new, better, more important to anyone who might need it. And somehow, I do believe that every inspired person is around someone who needs that "something new, better, more important".

Every moment of inspiration I have been blessed with left me assured that it was for more than myself and my own sense of recognition (which after all, does not matter at all in this).
And every moment of inspiration let me experience incredible well-being and contentment for no particular reason, just the result of being open and receptive to the divine energy flowing through me at that moment.


"Do you want to know the whole story?" He asked me as we were sitting by the pond in the light of the waxing moon. 
"Of course I do!" I replied and deep down I knew where it all came from. I didn't know the story though and I needed to know it as well to understand fully.
"I was working on the wall when one of the verses came to my mind but I needed to finish my work first and I didn't have any paper around anyway. It stayed with me however. The words stayed with me until I safely wrote them down. And then, a couple hours later as I was driving, the rest emerged out of nowhere, as if from the darkness and silence of the road in front of me. Holding the wheel in one hand and pen and paper in another one, I was hoping I won't end up somewhere in the field. Stupid I know but I couldn't help myself, I had to write it all down. And I did! 
You were the inspiration! But I also know it was meant for all and so I shared it with everyone." He finished and the moment of silence filled with love and unity followed. Something new, more important was born between us.




No comments:

Post a Comment