Saturday 3 January 2015

On Light

"Well we all shine on
Like the moon and the stars and the sun
Yeah we all shine on
On and on and on on and on." John Lennon

On a quiet Saturday morning I took my cup of tea and as usual started flipping through the newspapers and magazines. It is the beginning of a new year, the so called "season of light" despite the fact that days are rather short and nights darker than ever. I wondered why it is called the season of light then! Well, maybe because, as Barbara Brown Taylor writes in one of her books, "there is a light that is only visible in the darkness". 

During one of mediations this week I had a rather "ordinary" thought of what or who I really am. This time, however, it was more about the physical body. 
Our bodies are too dense to expect the light can actually come through, I thought. So we would naturally expect to find the darkness inside. And that might be true to our physical sight. Yet in my meditation I saw the light inside, dwelling in what might be perceived as a darkness.

As I was reading through the papers, I came across a beautiful article. The title, Let's shine with the Year of Light", was enough to grab my attention. And even more did one short paragraph there.

"Our fascination with light never fades and it can come in a form of a rainbow, for example. It is a simple physical law called the refraction of light. The rain drops on their way to Earth meet the light and what we see is a rainbow." (From the SME newspaper)

The International Year of Light is more of a scientific thing than a spiritual one, of course. However, I couldn't help but chuckle when I saw the metaphor of it!

The rain drops on their way to Earth meet the light and we get all those little, special parts of light called colors.

The Light, our essence, on its way to Earth meets the matter, water and flesh, so that it can experience and recognize its little special parts; all the aspects of divinity, love.

We all are a part of such rainbow! Some choose to experience the red, some blue, others green spectrum of it. None is more important or better, just special in its own way. Slower or faster in its vibration but still part of the same light.

And what if I told you that you can choose which special part you want to be now? What if it is not bound to be just one you might have already experienced? What if you can choose again, not better or wiser, just again!

"Don't forget, you can change anything you want. You are not what you have learned to be," said Manuel with the last hug and a gentle kiss on my cheek that morning. My eyes were filled with tears and my heart with love and hope. What he said that morning has stayed with me every day since then: the little insignificant act of love, the seed of change watered and slowly growing within. Camino Called Life





No comments:

Post a Comment